Tax season has begun! Once again, Associated Ministries, in partnership with several other local organizations, will offer FREE tax preparation services to low and moderate income taxpayers and seniors at 23 different locations in Pierce County. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
Why get your taxes done through VITA?
- You will receive help from IRS certified tax preparers, and you are helping people expand their experience and resume to find jobs in the financial field.
- Volunteers will help eligible taxpayers claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other similar credits. A large number of taxpayers who could qualify for the EITC do not claim the credit.
- It’s free for low and moderate income taxpayers (incomes up to $54,000), and seniors.
Before going to a VITA site, be sure to bring:
- Income documents such as W2s from all jobs worked, and 1099 forms for other income
- Documentation of expenses you want to claim, such as child care expenses, home mortgage interest, higher education expenses, and charitable donations
- Bank account information for refund direct deposit
- Photo ID for the primary taxpayer (and spouse, if married).
- Social Security Cards or ITIN cards for all family members.
Please note that VITA volunteers are unable to do tax returns for married taxpayers filing separately, or returns with some complex tax situations.
VITA sites are located throughout Pierce County. Call 2-1-1 or visit www.VolunteerTaxHelp.org to locate a site near you.