Help Yourself and the Community
Did you know that last year in Pierce County, more than 2,600 households had their taxes filed by the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program? Since the average U.S. household spent $270 on tax preparation last year, by providing this service free of charge, we saved Pierce County residents more than $702,000.
And you can be part of the team to make this happen again! How? Simple. Volunteer your time. Volunteers are needed to prepare taxes and be greeters at local sites.
When you sign up to be a tax preparer, you will receive training to provide free tax help for low-to-moderate income families who need assistance preparing their tax returns. If you sign up as a greeter, you will complete a very short training to welcome people to tax sites and check for documents.
What are the steps?
- Sign up to be a tax preparer, site coordinator, or greeter at www.VolunteerTaxHelp.org. You will then be contacted with dates and times for orientations and trainings
- Complete the training. Training is provided for free both online and in a classroom setting. The amount of time for training varies with each person.
- Pass the test and become certified, then sign up to volunteer at a site. Tax sites are generally open nights and weekends and the hours are flexible. You will surely find a volunteer site close to you.
Why become a VITA volunteer?
- Flexible hours. Volunteers generally serve an average of four hours per week. The programs are usually open from late-January through the tax filing deadline in April.
- Gain new skills. You will receive specialized training that will enhance your skills and looks great on a resume.
- Free tax law training and materials. Learn how to prepare basic tax returns and learn about all the tax deductions and credits that benefit eligible taxpayers.
- Continuing education credits for tax pros. Enrolled Agents and non-credentialed tax return preparers can earn credits when volunteering as a VITA/TCE instructor, quality reviewer or tax return preparer.
- Meet new people. Enlarge your network while you serve your community.
- Make a difference. You have the opportunity to help people save money and get the most from their refund with high-quality, caring service!
Any time you have to give, is time that can make a difference to someone else. Please visit us online at www.VolunteerTaxHelp.org or contact us for more information.
Serving your community, one tax return at a time!