Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Help lift hard-working families out of poverty! From late January through April 15th, VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) helps low and moderate-income households through free tax preparation. Each year, more than 6,000 households in Pierce County are helped by free tax sites. This service brings millions of dollars back into our community through tax credits and refunds, and helps hard-working families pay bills and save for the future.
Our VITA programs are made possible by grants from the IRS, WA State Dept. of Commerce and United Way of Pierce County.
Free Tax Preparation - Information for Tax Payers
The VITA program serves moderate- and low-income households up to $66,000 per year.
Due to COVID-19, the 2020-2021 VITA season will primarily be virtual. Stay tuned for more information about how to make an appointment with a tax preparer!
- Volunteering with VITA is a great way to support your community and build skills in accounting, finance, customer service, and leadership.
- Due to COVID-19, many volunteer opportunities for the 2020-2021 VITA season will be remote. Volunteers will have the flexibility to participate safely on their own time. Some sites will be open for tax payers who have limited access to computers, though volunteers will have little or no in-person contact with clients during the tax preparation.
- VITA volunteers are provided free training and certification to help with greeting taxpayers and conducting intakes*, preparing taxes, coordinating tax sites, reviewing tax returns for quality assurance, and interpreting for non-English speakers*. No prior experience is required!
- *Not interested in preparing taxes? Greeters and Interpreters play an important role in providing excellent customer service to our clients.
- Volunteer by clicking the blue VITA button below.