Standing with the Asian-American Community
Our country has experienced a disturbing surge of discrimination and violence directed at Asian Americans during the COVID-19 pandemic – one report found that hate crimes against Asians increased 150% between 2019 and 2020. Associated Ministries strongly condemns anti-Asian racism, and our hearts especially go out to the loved ones of those killed last week in Atlanta. We underscore our strong commitment never to accept racism, discrimination, hate, or violence in our community or nation.
As a nonprofit on a journey towards being an anti-racist multicultural organization (read more), AM serves those from all races, ethnicities, backgrounds, and walks of life. We work hard to create a safe, welcoming, supportive, and affirming space for all who seek our services. Racism, discrimination and hatred will never be tolerated at Associated Ministries.
We urge everyone to stand up and support Asian American communities. Below are resources to help you educate yourself, speak up, and fight racism (compiled by Launch Learning of Seattle):
- America’s long history of scapegoating its Asian citizens
- Books about Asian Pacific American history and experiences
- What is the Model Minority Myth?
- Anti-Asian Racism Exposes the Model Minority Myth
- How to Respond to Coronavirus Racism
- COVID-19 Toolkit: Strategies to Defeat Asian American Racial Profiling and Xenophobia
- Show Up: Your Guide to Bystander Intervention
- Speak Up! Responding to Everyday Bigotry
- Sign up for a virtual Bystander Intervention training
- Safety Tips for Those Experiencing or Witnessing Hate
The Intentionalist has a great database of local businesses owned by Asian Americans.