AM Community Quarterly Meeting a Huge Success!
December 11, 2017
by Valorie Crout, Chief Program Officer, Associated Ministries
In 2017 Associated Ministries began convening Community Quarterly Meetings in partnership with other homeless and housing service providers working in Pierce County, with the goal of creating an energizing space to gather regularly to learn about, discuss and take action on the crisis of homelessness in our community. So far, 187 people representing 44 faith communities have attended one or more of these meetings to learn how they can impact homelessness.
We had a record number of attendees during our most recent CQM. The word is spreading! The energy is rising! People of faith are hearing about and responding to the call to help end homelessness! We extend special thanks to the following people who made the December meeting a success:
- YOU, for showing up to listen, learn and participate in this encouraging session. And to all of those who wanted to attend, but couldn’t. Your spirit was still with us. Thank you!
- Pastor Eric Jackson for offering a warm and comfortable space to meet at Bethlehem Baptist Church.
- Tess Colby, Manager of the Community Service Division at Pierce County Human Services, for a insightful and well-received presentation on our County’s new 5-year plan to end homelessness (pictured to right).
- Pastor Nathan Hollifield from Fircrest United Methodist Church for offering a testimony on how his church has been blessed by hosting families experiencing homelessness multiple times this year as part of Catholic Community Services’ Family Housing Network.
- Jeffery Boyce for sharing information on a unique way congregations can consider helping: by providing safe parking for those experiencing homelessness. Learn more about safe parking from Jeffery here.
The testimonies, information presented and dedication in the room was amazing! Truly we are community coming together to end homelessness.
You can find the PowerPoint presentation that was provided here.
As we enter the New Year, the team at Associated Ministries is committed to continue bringing forward the most current information and resources to inform our community, allowing us all to make informed decisions and take appropriate action to help end homelessness.
P.S. Please join us at the next Community Quarterly Meeting (download bulletin inserts here):
March 22nd from 5-7pm
Shiloh Baptist Church
1211 South I Street, Tacoma
A note from Rev. Gregory Christopher, Senior Pastor at Shiloh Baptist Church:
Hello Community, Wow! The Shiloh Church family and myself are elated to host the next Community Quarterly Meeting sponsored by Associated Ministries. At these quarterly meetings the community is in partnership with other homeless and housing services and ideas are exchanged on how to best address homelessness and affordable housing. For me this opportunity is also personal; my oldest brother died of hypothermia December 31, 2015. My brother was made homeless because of a shooting in an area in Dallas Texas where the homeless population was allowed to live in huge tents similar to those on the port of Tacoma . He froze to death under a bridge. If you think that your family and closest friends are immune to homelessness, please think again.
Come out and join in the conversation; who knows, the best way of addressing homelessness could be within you.
Best Wishes during the Holiday Season,
Gregory Christopher, Senior Pastor