Emergency Food Network's Hunger Statistics
Here’s current Pierce County hunger statistics the Emergency Food Network (EFN) staff shared with Associated Ministries. We share these with you to highlight the need across Pierce County. EFN needs our assistance and the 2014 Hunger Walk is a powerful way for you to make a difference!
2014 EFN Statistics
1. EFN distributes more than 15 million pounds of food annually to 60 food banks, meal sites and shelters.
2. More than 50% of the clients EFN serves are children and seniors.
3. In 2012, 59,785 Pierce County students (47% of the entire student population) participated in our State’s free and reduced-price lunch program.
4. By raising $100 you will be providing 600 meals.
5. For every $1 received EFN distributes $12 worth of food.
6. 1 in 6 Americans face hunger (this is from Feeding America).
7. Summer time is hungry time: We rank 38th out of 50 states in reaching low-income children with summer nutrition. Only 1 in 10 eligible kids access summer meal programs.
8. Washington ranks 15th among the nation in both hunger and food insecurity (Washington is the 15th hungriest state in the nation and in the top 6 where hunger is growing fastest.- Northwest Harvest).
9. In 2013, EFN and our partner food programs served more than 17 million meals in Pierce County.
10. 1 in 5 children in the US are at risk of hunger (this is from NO Kid Hungry).